Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fondue is a Fon-definite

Courtney's Travel Tip # 37... (Well it feels like 37 by now!) When you can do fondue you must do fondue...

I swear I'll be surprised if I don't have to pull a Kevin Smith and buy two seats on the flight back from this little trip. I'm eating so much junk AND topping it all off with three course dinners every night. So when Fondue is an option, we not only had the cheese for an appetizer, we then went on to eat a main course and then finish up the gluttony with chocolate fondue for dessert. I don't need to have an appetizer AND a dessert with every meal do I? Apparently I do!

Courtney's Travel Tip # 38: You know you and your friend have spent too much money when a Swiss shop keeper tells you that your purchases equal her profit margin for the day.

I tested the shopping gods. I whined, I cried, I took their names in vain, and I came out the next day cursed. What was my curse you ask? To buy everything in sight without any regard to my bank account. So me being the big baby that I am complained all Sunday about not being able to shop, and then the flood gates opened. It was like coming out of the desert into an oasis. Or like a heroin addict getting one more hit. I saw it, I bought it. I wanted it, I now own it. And that was all BEFORE the massage I had scheduled at 12:45. So before most of you were out of bed and into work for the day, I had spent the treasury of a small country. One like Myanmar or Thailand. But thanks to me the Swiss economy is not in danger of collapse.

Courtney's Travel Tip # 39- Apparently when you go to Japan you're supposed to learn Japanese, or something like that...

So we just wanted take-out to bring back to the hotel after a long day of shopping. All we wanted was Thai food (but that place was closed because apparently there is a law against working on Mondays in Switzerland), so we went to the sandwich place next door. Somehow we offended the clerk just by asking whether or not a sandwich had meat on it. He felt the need to tell us that we needed to learn the language and if he were going to go to Japan he would learn Japanese. Uh dude... you're not going to Japan. You work the counter at a sandwich shop, and if you can afford it on a sandwich artist's salary then I'm in the wrong line of work! (Okay okay... that was mean, but I only say that because he was honestly one of the rudest, most patronizing men I've ever met!).

Courtney's Travel Tip #40: John Travolta and his whining about a $5 Milkshake in Pulp Fiction can shove it... I paid 2 francs for tap water last night!

Since we're stubborn Americans, we decided not to spend our $20 in his take out shop and to really drive home the point that we were unhappy by going to the exhorbitantly expensive Chinese restaurant down the street (as evidenced by the fact that they charged me 2 francs for tap water). This is where we met the 2nd rudest and most patronizing man in the universe. Only this one was sitting at the table next to us. He got really upset when the waitress brought him Wan-tons instead of Wan-Ton soup. He made sure everyone in the restraurant knew that he spoke PERFECT English and Italian and that he did in fact ask for the soup and not the fried wan-tons. Now I don't know why he thought that perfect English and Italian could get him what he wanted. According to the rude patronizing guy down the street, we need to learn Japanese to place a food order in Switzerland (even though we were in a Chinese restaurant.) Don't worry... you're not the only one confused about the events of last night and I was actually present at each of these encounters!

And the sad thing is... I'm still not 100% sure what language they speak in Switzerland!

But I do know what they speak in Rome... and now that we're here I'm ready to brush up on my Spanish skills! They do speak Spanish right?!!?!?

1 comment:

  1. I heard about the "Courtney Stimulus Day" in Switzerland on the world news and thought that sounded weird.... but NOW I understand!

    ReplyDelete