Monday, March 8, 2010

Death by Bicycle

Courtney's Travel Tip #5: Hot beverages = potential weapons!

Dear Amsterdam,
Thank you so much for being a walkable, lovely city with lots of interesting things to see. I especially like the part where you don't put a street sign up for several street blocks so we get a little turned around going to the floating flower market!
Your friend,
Courtney Hinton

So last night we didn't make it to the Red Light District. My morals and innocent eyes are still safe... until tonight! We did have dinner at an AWESOME restaurant that was in an old Weigh house from the 1400's. AND I came up with my new business plan. I'm not telling, I don't want anyone to steal it. But we got sidetracked by a bar with a live cat in the window and never made it far after that.

So onto this morning with a lively art museum followed by the equally uplifting experience of the Anne Frank House. Now I'm no art afficionado, but I can now speak knowledgably about Rembrandt and Vermeer. There will be a question and answer period at the end of the blog so please hold your questions for later! And the Anne Frank House was probably the most emotional thing I could have seen on this trip. All joking aside, it was a very sobering stop but so glad I got to see it.

Lunch was the best pancake I've ever had, greek with lambs meat and feta, I know... I know.... greek pancakes don't sound so good, but you don't know what you're missing.

So after that we had our little run in with the street system and I nearly got killed by three bicyclists while trying to take a picture of a bridge. No worries... all parties involved walked away from the incident with no injuries (probably because nothing really happened except I ran out into the "street" and there were three cyclists who had to slam on their breaks to keep from hitting me).

And finally, we walked and walked and walked for hours today. (Sorry Dad but we got lost and ended up off the beaten path, but that's where we figured out travel tip #5! We had just gotten fresh lattes and figured out that if anyone were to mess with us we'd be able to fend them off with our scalding hot beverages!)

So tonight it's back to our original plan of dinner and Red Light District. Don't worry... we're good girls who just want to see what the big deal is about!

1 comment:

  1. ...insert crocodile dundee voice... "That's not a latte, THIS is a latte" ... (criminals run away in fright from much bigger & more scalding lattes than their own inferior lattes)

    Sounds like you ladies are having quite a time!!! Enjoying reading about your high jinx!

    ReplyDelete